Let's just say that this is AMAZING! I wanted to make a brunchy type dish for when my friend came over for breakfast, did a little search, and came up with this gem. It was so good that the two of us ate half of it! oops! :)
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread, cubed
- 6 egg whites
- 3 eggs
- 1-3/4 cups fat-free milk
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen unsweetened mixed berries
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
DIRECTIONS1. Place bread cubes in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. In a large bowl, combine the egg whites, eggs, milk, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla and salt; pour over bread. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
2. Thirty minutes before baking, remove the berries from the freezer and set aside, and remove the baking dish from the refrigerator. Bake, covered, at 350° for 30 minutes.
3. In a small bowl, cut butter into brown sugar until crumbly. Sprinkle berries and brown sugar mixture over French toast. Bake, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
SERVINGS & WW INFO**
WW points - 7 (and worth every one of them)
Kneekole's Notes & Comments
* Do not think "Oh, I've got a loaf of sandwich bread here, I'll just use that." You will waste your sandwich bread and your breakfast on a sub-par meal. It's the thick French bread that makes this dish so amazing.
* Shout outs to Craig, who cubed that bread like no other, and Carolyn & Ellie for enjoying it with me.
* I cannot wait to make this again! I just need to find friends to eat it with me to help me with my self control. :)
**For more nutritional information and for the original recipe, check it out on Taste of Home.com